Monday, December 8, 2008

Banjoquest

Here's a short field video I taped of Frank Lindamood at the Florida Folk Festival a few years ago. Frank is my favorite old time banjo fingerpicker in the world. He and CD Smith used to sit and play guitar and banjo in front of the Episcopalian Student Center at Florida State when I was a freshman there. Frank played the guitar and CD played the banjo. Over the years, Frank began to play the banjo too. He sounds like he has been playing it a century or two. Frank is one of Florida's secret musical gems. He doesn't have a web page that I know of--but when he plays in the campground at night--folks begin to gather and listen.

Bob taped me playing "Liza Jane" at the South rim of the Grand Canyon this summer.
It was a beautiful day and I played it on my John Bowlin 1865 fretless. (Minstrel style reproduction banjo.) The Bowlin traveled from Tallahassee to Pasadena and back with us in June and it was lightweight and easy to carry around with a gig bag--even climbing around the Grand Canyon or the Painted Desert. :)

Bob insisted we visit the Grand Canyon after listening to Mark Sickman's audio CD of the Grand Canyon Story. (The Epic Tale of John Wesley Powell's 1869 Exploration of the Green River, Colorado River, and Grand Canyon).
http://cdbaby.com/cd/sickmancox
Mark has recently added a new CD version of this audio and musical adventure, Grand Canyon Courage.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/sickmancox2

Hope you enjoy this little glimpse of the Grand Canyon while hearing the voice of my John Bowlin 1865 fretless.

No comments: